Chances are these trends are already influencing the kind of fitness classes and services that are being offered in a facility near you.
The top ten fitness trends predicted for 2014 are:
1. High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT). HIIT involves short bursts of activity followed by a short period of rest or recovery. What is the appeal? These exercise programs are usually performed in less than 30 minutes.
2. Body Weight Training. You are your own equipment! The advantage of body weight training it that it uses minimal equipment, making it an affordable option.
3. Educated and Experienced Fitness Professionals. Consumers are seeking trained professionals, like our SPRA Fitness Leaders, who meet national standards as part of the certification process.
4. Strength Training. Strength training remains a focus as it is an essential part of a complete physical activity program.
5. Exercise and Weight Loss. With obesity rates on the rise, nutrition and physical activity are the key to any well-balanced weight loss program.
6. Personal Training. Hiring a certified personal trainer is becoming increasingly important to the health and fitness facilities that employ them.
7. Fitness Programs for Older Adults. It is projected that by the year 2020, one in six Saskatchewan residents will be over the age of 65, meaning the demand for age-appropriate fitness programs like Forever…in motion will continue to increase.
8. Functional Fitness. This is a trend toward using strength training to simulate common movements one might do at home, at work or in sports. Particularly with older adults, functional fitness can improve their quality of life, allowing them to lead more active and independent lives.
9. Group Personal Training. Training in a small group is an affordable option and there may be added value with a group dynamic which can help motivate and encourage adherence.
10. Yoga. Making the mind-body connection through yoga and its many variations (e.g power yoga, yogalates etc.) will continue to be popular.
American College of Sports Medicine (2013). Survey Predicts Top Fitness Trends for 2014 [Press Release]. Retrieved from: http://www.acsm.org/about-acsm/media-room/news-releases/2013/10/25/survey-predicts-top-20-fitness-trends-for-2014