“Students that were trained in Take the Lead!® have become more mature. The leadership skills they learned and practiced during the Take the Lead!® program have transferred to everyday school life”
Take the Lead!® is a program focused on fostering leadership skills in youth aged 11-14. Our youth know how to play best! Utilizing Take the Lead!® resources and training, youth can practice leading active play opportunities, providing more physical activity opportunities for their peers. Because of Take the Lead!® training, SPRA is confident that these same youth will later draw upon these skills as they reinvest in our communities.
Take the Lead!® Outcomes:
- Youth leaders (ages 11 – 14) demonstrate leadership qualities and self-confidence
- Children are physically active for a minimum of 30 minutes per day in the school environment, to help achieve the goal of 60-90 minutes of physical activity per day
- There are safe active play areas for children
- Increased time dedicated to active, fun play during school recess, noon hour and the after school time period
- Strengthened capacity of schools and communities to support physical activity for children
For more information on Take the Lead!® check out these documents:
Take the Lead!® Workshops are training opportunities open to anyone interested in initiating a Take the Lead!® program in your schools and community.
Take the Lead!® Training Assistance Program
The Take the Lead!® Training Assistance Program is available to any school or community organization in Saskatchewan that is dedicated to implementing Take the Lead!®, and supporting individuals interested in becoming trained or maintaining their work as a Take the Lead!® Leadership Coach.
Funds will be administered up to a maximum of $500.00 per applicant. Funding must be utilized to implement Take the Lead!® in your school or community. This includes training Leadership Coach(es) and Youth Leaders to run Take the Lead!® in your community or school.
Call for Applications – Applications will be accepted on a first come first serve basis from September 1, 2015 until February 29, 2016. However, the funding is capped and once the funds are allocated the Training Assistance Program will be considered closed. This may occur before the closing date.
For more information on Take the Lead!® contact:
Consultant- Youth Engagement
Saskatchewan Parks and Recreation Association