Since 1985, the SPRA Fitness Division has certified hundreds of dedicated Fitness Leaders to instruct a variety of fitness classes at facilities throughout Saskatchewan. SPRA certification gives Fitness Leaders national recognition through the National Fitness Leadership Alliance (NFLA) and the qualifications and recognition to instruct across Canada.
If you have committed to an active and healthy lifestyle, and would like to become a leader that will motivate and energize people to do the same, the SPRA Fitness Leadership Certification Program is for you!
Read this brochure to learn more about the benefits of SPRA Fitness Leader Certification.
How to Become a Certified Fitness Leader
To become an SPRA Certified Fitness Leader, you must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- 16 years of age or older.
- A passing grade of 80% on the NFLA Exercise Theory Exam and completion of at least one of the following specialty modules:
- Group Exercise (Land) Module with a grade of 80% on the written exam and a Practical Evaluation.
- Aquatic Exercise (Water) Module with a grade of 80% on the written exam and a Practical Evaluation.
- Exercise for Older Adults Module with a grade of 80% on the written exam and a Practical Evaluation.
- Proof of CPR - Level A, at minimum. Certificate must be current and within one year of issue date. Standard First Aid must be current as per the certificate issued by the provder. Online CPR courses are not accepted.
- $80 Certificate Fee (as of 2017).
Exercise Theory is a prerequisite to all specialty modules, and must be completed prior to taking any of the specialty modules.
Read more about Exercise Theory and the Specialty Modules here.
SPRA Fitness Leadership Certification will be granted to those candidates who meet the following timeline requirements:
- Completion of the Exercise Theory Course and/or passing of the NFLA Exercise Theory Exam. The written exam of the Exercise Theory Course must be completed within 6 months of taking the course.
- A specialty module must be taken within 6 months of completing the Exercise Theory Course. Exceptions may be considered depending on availability of the specialty module.
- Successful completion of the appropriate Practical Evaluation and the NFLA written exam must be completed within 6 months of the initial specialty module.
How To Renew Your Certification
To renew your Certification as an SPRA Fitness Leader, there are two additional requirements:
- Fitness Leaders must submit proof of 12 Continuing Education Credits (CECs) every two years.
- Fitness Leaders must submit proof of 20 Practical Teaching Hours each year.
Apply to renew your Certification here.