Position Title: Aquatics Coordinator
Department/Division: Community Services
Scope: CUPE 882 - Permanent
Core Purpose of Position
Reporting directly to the Recreation Programmers this position will supervise, instruct and lifeguard
in a senior capacity, including leadership of all Lifeguard/Instructor positions, lesson/course
instructions and planning, arranging for advanced courses and examination.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
1. Responsible for lifeguarding, instructing and facility operations.
- Perform all duties and responsibilities of a Lifeguard I/II/III as required in a senior capacity.
- Supervise pool areas, react and supervise emergency situations/perform first aid as required
- and ensure all documentation is completed.
2. Responsible for the leadership and supervision of lifeguarding staff.
- Assist to develop, direct, coordinate, implement, supervise and monitor the use of aquatic
- facilities, swimming and water safety, recreational, educational and training programs and
- Offer coaching, mentoring and training opportunities for employees.
- Ensure that all rules and regulations as set out in the Provincial Swimming Pool Regulations,
- Provincial Occupational Health and Safety and City of Prince Albert policies and procedures
- are followed. Follows Frank J Dunn (FJD) Swimming Pool & Kinsmen Water Park (KWP)
- Safety Plan.
- Must have a working knowledge of pool mechanical systems and general janitorial
3. Responsible for administrational duties.
- Ensure new courses and lessons have all materials required, including worksheets, report
- cards, badges and books.
- Monitor employee certifications and expiry dates, update Human Resources of changes in
- Assist in planning, implementation and evaluation of in-service training and staff
- Assist in the development of long and short range goals and objectives of aquatics
- programming and overall facility goals and objectives.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
4. Responsible for strong communication and public relations.
- Promotion of all Aquatic activities.
- Responding to inquiries and/or resolving complaints from the general public, staff,
- consultants, and community groups with regards to Aquatic facility operations, programming,
- and maintenance.
- Assist in the communication of events, schedules and aquatic policies with front desk,
- lifeguards and instructors.
- Assist with the preparation of promotional materials such as brochures, pamphlets and
Qualifications (Education, Training, Experience)
- Completion of grade 12
- Two years related work experience.
- Possession of the following awards:
- Lifesaving Examiner for Bronze Family, Lifesaving National Lifeguard, Lifesaving National
- Lifeguard Instructor, Standard First Aid with CPR C/AED, Lifesaving First Aid Instructor,
- Lifesaving Instructor, Red CrossWater Safety Instructor, AST (Lifesaving Aquatic Supervisor
- Training),WHMIS, and Saskatchewan Pool Operator Course.
- The following awards would also be considered an asset:
- Lifesaving Mentor, Red Cross Water Safety Instructor Trainer, AST Instructor (Lifesaving
- Aquatic Supervisor Training), and WHMIS Instructor.
- Criminal Record Check Required Including Vulnerable Sector Search
Key Knowledge, Technical Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of principles, practices and techniques employed in water safety and lifeguard
- Knowledge of Provincial Swimming Pool Regulations, Provincial Occupational Health and Safety
- Act and the City of Prince Albert Policy and Procedures.
- Ability to supervise the work of program staff.
- Ability to express concepts effectively in oral and written forms.
- Must be able to work daytime, evenings and weekends, including split shifts.
Reports To: Recreation Programmer
Supervisory Responsibility: ☒Yes ☐No
Direct Reports: ☐1-3 ☒4-7 ☐8 or more
Profile Review Information
Date Profile Last Reviewed: May 4, 2015
City of Prince Albert CUPE Local #882
For more information see Job Posting at City of Prince Albert